Follow the latest updates and progress on Pet Projects.
First cloud matte painting setup tests. These will be replicated for all 20 sky shots to some extent.
This week I finished the ground plane painting and started working on the skies and clouds as they will appear in the movie. For that we created some mockups to see how painted assets translate into 3D space.
I was mainly involved with the Geometry Nodes workshop happening in the Blender headquarters last week. Other than that I did an initial shading pass on the rocket exterior.
Some more modeling this week for missing assets.
This week I got the big artwork for our Annecy booth done and also did some FX designs and provided a design for our final asset - the astronaut helmet is back!
Animation team continue working on seq 020, 030 and 040, slowly finishing shots and calling them done
Lighting continues! Animation is getting closer to final in 020_tryout now, so I was able to address more notes by Vivien to get closer to the color script. The barn background was finally added to all the interior shots and even got a first pass in 010_intro on the rocket exterior!
This week I spent less time on Pets and worked on some minor changes in the rocket interior. Added a broken hull and made smaller adjustments to the door.
I contributed a bit this week on the destruction passes of the barn set.
This week I continued with the colorscript, explored options for the enhanced reality effect, gave notes on shading and started preparing for upcoming tasks like the big ground painting. I also helped with artwork for the Annecy animation festival!
This week animation team is working on finishing seq 020, also started 030 and 040. Rik is also joining doing some animations, so the team is growing. Poselibs for the two characters are done, so that will hopefully speed up the process
I finished shading the barn, made some tweaks to the cat shading, did overall improvements and fixes on our outline rendering system to produce less errors and went over all the remaining props to give them a quick initial shading pass.
Lighting! This week I tried to set up as many different shots from the first 4 sequences so we have a good base for the color progression throughout the whole film. These shots will receive extensive feedback from Vivien over the next coming weeks, so stay tuned for more iterations.
This week I continued exploring the hay piles and the barn and we agreed on a final look for all that, then I designed some welding effects and did mood paintings for the red alarm lights and finally also put together our colorscript.
I wrapped up shading the rocket interior, did an initial pass on the barn shading, continued with the cat by adding some texturing details and experimented more on the overall look of the film.
Small adjustments this week to the rocket interior, and some props. Added couple more levers, warning lights, geo node switches toggling collection visibility. Sent any rigging notes to Demeter and continuing with the rocket exterior with a skeleton mesh, wires and adjusted rear paneling.
Slowly wrapping up the rocket exterior and interior, with the exterior still needing a distressed version. Additional props here and there like debris, knots and more.
I took over some left-over tasks like the set modeling of the barn and unfinished props.
For me this week was only 3 days, but I managed to do a first pass on the rocket interior shading and do general tweaks to the character shading to push our look in the right stylistic direction together with Andy and Vivien.
This week I worked on helping to push the lights and colors of the rocket interior shots, the barn got some drawovers and hay concepts. I also started exploring smoke and engine fire and more effects are coming up soon.
During this week we continue working on the seq 020, more shots are being animated and even some of then we are calling them "final". Also some facial test are done on the cat and still working on it to make the facial rig final
Chicken, robot arms, iterating on the cat's face rig (not shown), and a fun little pie menu.