Follow the latest updates and progress on Gold.
My goal for this week was to adjust all the lighting of scene 100_transfomed and do a first crappy pass of 030_sinking.
Last week was mainly spent again on making the shards work properly. We moved to the final setup, so that needed some shuffling around, but also means now almost everything is set.
This week I worked on the corals and sponges to be placed in the environment. Some of them will probably need adjustments for better balancing and optimization.
My week has been focused on building files for lighting of 040_sinking and 100_transformed. Both sequences have been pushed forward into layout - they also contain Mikassa which is a great chance to finally test the character shading in the actual shot scenarios.
This week we officially started layout for a bunch of sequences. Creating layout files means we are using the actual assets to build shots and get the shots ready for animation and lighting. Previsualized shots are still using temp geometry and rigs that won't be used for production. Therefore it's necessary to recreate shots within the pipeline. Once they are approved, we can start animating the shots.
This week I worked on some more technical setups that we would need in the shots that we are now starting to work on. Besides that I looked more closely into how we can make the broken version of Mikassa work with the individual shards, that Julien was working on, together with Pablo for the test animation.
During this week I mostly worked on making a layout/first blocking on seq 100, like this lighting can start to work on production shots
This week I worked on set dressing, preliminary shading and lighting on the underwater set - specifically the upper reef part. This scenery is supposed to be lush and lively, so I spent most of the week creating the various scattering setups for kelp and carefully placing individual corals on the rocks.
Besides dealing with more technical hurdles, last week I finally got to do a basic texture painting pass over Mikassa and give some more attention to her face specifically.
I worked out all the needed set connections to transition the previz to layout. The reef and coral rocks were also more fleshed out.
I put my focus more back on Mikassa to start putting in details and iteration over the look of the brush strokes to push her shading and the test shot that we are working on further.
I continued to work on lighting for the boat test shot and our first shot in the film: 100_0080! Also, I created kelp assets and started set dressing the reef environment.
This week I work on different things. I'm still doing some previs in some scene, but also I managed to do some animation, in this case finishing the animation test on the boat, and also starting the last shot of the movie. Also I did some facials poses to test the rig and also as a test for shading