Follow the latest updates and progress on Sprite Fright.
Environment shading for the intro sequence is completed. Meanwhile, at the other end of the film: the final shot is given lighting attention. All of 'Grove' has received an initial lighting pass, and awaits refinement. Plus character lineup files for you to download.
This week I finished the shading for the bird, finished the shading for the environment of the Intro sequence (including the logbridge prop) and picked up some small prop shading tasks that still needed to be done.
I put some finishing touches on 010_intro and continued lighting on 140_fannypack. I picked up 150_boss and gave each shot an initial lighting pass. The final shot of the film in 170_parade also got more attention.
This week, all of Grove received a lighting pass. For the upcoming days we need to refine the lighting to match with other sequences and shots. Bring more life back in the backgrounds by lighting the scenery with subtle strokes of light.
This week we continued on finishing the 'Boss' and 'Escape' sequences. Both sequences will be delivered next week while the whole animation team is collaborating to get these last bits done!
It's crazy how many scenes were handed over to lighting this week! I worked on finalizing 010_intro and 050_ritual while picking up 140_fannypack and 170_parade.
This week for me was wrapping up the environment shading that was left to ship the Sprite Village and Ritual sequences. Part of that was also a general pass on the bark of our trees and making sure the brightness levels of the general environment shading are matching up. Other than that a spent a bunch of time figuring out the feather system of our bird character.
This week, our goal was to establish the right mood for the grove establishing shots. After which we can split the establishing shots into the other grove shots (for better consistency and practicality). Next week we want to have a lit and rendered result for Grove, so we can iterate and refine during the third and last week.
Progress on animation for "Grove," an important scene as it establishes the main characters for the first time. Plus: eerie lighting tweaks on "Ritual." And lighting on daylight shots in general, helping the environments pop. Finally, work on the "Boss" sequence began.
This week, the animation department continued to rock on the 'grove' sequence. This sequence establishes all the characters with their own personalities and reveals the sprites for the first time. A bunch of new shots have been added, some WIP and some finalled. Which character do you like the most and why?
This week was all about finishing lighting on 050_ritual: Creating fire simulations, tweaking the lighting, making the lights flicker to create that eerie fire effect to make this scene super dynamic! Furthermore, I went back into 010_intro and continued refining the lighting there.
This week I focused mainly on generally overhauling our environment and plant shading. We are now rendering our daylight shots and there the environment should really shine. Specifically I looked in the shading of the sprite village set and the shading of our leaves for the bushes and oak trees, as well as the ferns among other things.
This week I wrapped up Village lighting. Some shots needed more attention for better continuity and focus, guiding the viewers eye better. Next: Groovy Grove Goodness.
Working on CloudRig tutorials, bugfixes and new features, while fixing minor stuff on Sprite Fright that comes across my desk.
Eerie lighting for a flame-filled demise (yes, that's a spoiler). "Village" nears completion, both in terms of animation and lighting refinement. The animation team combines their efforts to work on the last big sequence. And a semi-procedural cloud .blend file to download and explore.
This week we continued working on animating shots for the Grove sequence. The majority of the animation team is putting their best step forward to get this last massive sequence done. The sequence is scheduled to be finished animation in 3 weeks. Go team Go!! :D
Apart from addressing a bunch of smaller shading notes here and there I did another pass on the bloody shoe shading that needed to be adjusted for readability, made more tweaks to elder sprite and worked on the lookdev of the cloud for the beginning and ending shots of the movie.
This week I mainly worked on the log bridge set to make it ready for the last 3 sequences of the movie. There were also a bunch of adjustments to other sets and shots based on feedback.